The Wussification of America

From the Arizona Republic, presented without comment:

Phoenix fire vehicles, including some hazardous-materials units,
responded to a small mercury spill at Mountain Pointe High School
Tuesday afternoon. No one "complained of medical problems" or was
transported to a hospital, said Mark Faulkner, Phoenix Fire Department
division chief for the public affairs.

At about 1:30 p.m. a call came to the Fire Department about a
"dime-size spill of mercury" on the campus at 4201 E. Knox Road in
Ahwatukee Foothills, Faulkner said.

The mercury was in a science laboratory but how it spilled is unknown.
It could have been part of an experiment or possibly a thermometer
cracked, Faulkner said.


  1. Rob:

    When I were a kid. we was playing wit da mercury in these hands here and I turnd out good!

    Seriously though, I used to break old thermometers so that I could play with the mercury. The only need for the fire department was to cool off by butt after being spanked for breaking thermometers. :)

  2. bob prangnell:

    Me too; I remember in chemistry class we got to play with small beakerfulls of mercury. I remember sticking my finger into it to see what it felt like.

    Still alive at 50...

  3. ParatrooperJJ:

    Oh teh noes!!!!!

  4. Captain Obviousness:

    One of my dad's favorite stories is how when he used to go to the dentist as a kid, the dentist would give him a little dish of mercury to play with to keep him distracted. He said he would usually end up spilling it on himself :)

  5. Dr. T:

    The kids were in more danger from the exhaust emissions of the fire trucks than they were from the mercury.

    "No one complainted of medical problems." -- That comment cracked me up. It takes years for organic mercury poisoning to cause symptoms. Metallic mercury isn't toxic unless you warm it and breath the vapors.

  6. scraphoops:

    Dr. T you beat me to it. I was going to say the only way this would be dangerous is if one of the kids licked it off the floor.